Hair loss is something nearly all men have to deal with at some point, and the significant stigma and the trauma that come with it can have a lasting impact on your day-to-day life.
According to a recent survey conducted by Prim and Prep, Do Women Like Bald Men? out of 334 respondents, 36% reported that they found bald men either ‘very’ or ‘slightly’ unattractive.
Hey, we can’t all look like Bruce Willis or the Rock!
With that in mind, it’s understandable that hair loss and hair growth products for men are more popular than ever.
But why am I losing my hair, what are the causes?
According to the Mayo Clinic, hair loss (otherwise known as alopecia) can be the result of a variety of issues, including:
- hormonal changes
- medical conditions
- poor nutritional diet
- toxic chemicals in your hair products
- the standard aging process.
We understand that you’re probably dying to find ways to kickstart your hair growth and get back those luscious locks, but while there are countless reasons you might be losing your hair it’s important that before you pursue any kind of hair loss treatment, you talk with your doctor first, about the possible reasons behind your personal hair loss to find the best treatment for you.
From thickening treatments to caffeine shampoos and regrowth vitamin supplements to prevent male pattern baldness, we’ve scoured the web for some of the best hair growth products currently on the market for men.
The best hair growth products for men
18.21 Man Made is a Texas-based business owned by three guys with a shared passion for making premium grooming goods that men can take pride in owning.
Their use of exceptional materials, choice ingredients, and custom-crafted aromas set the bar high for modern grooming for men.
Currently, 18.21 Man-Made offers their premium hair wash combined shampoo and conditioner in three distinct, yet delicious fragrances, each retailing at $28.60 for 18oz, increasing to $35.69 for 32 oz, or $65.03 for a whopping 64 oz bottle:
Original SweetTobacco, Spiced Vanilla, and Absolute Mahogany Man Made Wash
Inspired by the decadence of Prohibition-era speakeasies, this masculine scent takes you deep into the spirit of the roaring 20s.
Sweet Virginia pipe tobacco, an intoxicating blend of spiced vanilla, and the homely scent of mahogany wood make up the aromas, while the moisturizing lather leaves your hair, beard, and body supple and soft.
One of the things that we love the most about the Man-Made Wash is that, out of all of the hair growth products for men in this list, this one offers a luxury 3-in-1 treatment, with fortified shampoo, sumptuous conditioner, and sensual body wash that provides a deep, rich cleansing experience worlds away from your everyday rushed, pre-work shower.
Enhanced with paraben- and sulfate-free soap and infused with all-natural ingredients including macadamia, quinoa, and jojoba esters, this hair and body wash gives you that much-needed protein boost to protect and fill in damage to the cortex layer of your hair.
This high-quality shampoo and conditioner combination is ideal for dry, thinning textures, as it provides key nutrients for boosting hair growth and vitality.
Rated as ‘the world’s easiest way to get back a full, beautiful head of hair’, the Kiierr Laser Cap and Hair Regrowth Supplement System offers you the opportunity to grow back your hair in as little as 30 minutes a day!
The Kiierr Laser Cap comes with a lining of either 148 or 272 premium laser diodes that utilize low-level laser therapy (LLLT). LLLT is a method that uses light energy that’s below a specific threshold – and within a specific wavelength – to stimulate the surface of the skin tissue in order to kickstart fresh hair growth, and it does this by stimulating the re-entrance of the anagen (lengthening) phase of the hair growth cycle that is currently in the telogen (dormant) phase.
However, if you do opt to tackle your thinning hair with low-level laser therapy, it’s important to keep in mind that patience is key: for the best results, Kiierr recommends wearing the cap for at least 30 minutes a day over a period of at least 7 months. This will give the cap, and the supplements, enough time to create plenty of new hair follicles, leaving you with a full head of luscious, healthy hair.
Speaking of hair growth products for men, Kiierr offers a fantastic range of vitamins, hair treatments, and edible gummies, including:
DHT Blocking Shampoo, Conditioner and Vitamins
DHT-blocking hair treatments contain healthy hair proteins and nutrients that block the enzymes that turn testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which, in turn, allows your hair to regrow stronger for longer.
Dihydrotestosterone is a derivative of the male hormone testosterone, and is ultimately the enemy of our hair follicles, killing them dead in their tracks.
Unsurprisingly then, DHT-blocking shampoo and conditioner contains nutrients ideal for cultivating healthy hair, dream-like lengths, and stunning shine, with vitamin E, pro-vitamin B5, keratin, jojoba oil, and a dollop of collagen amino acids to stimulate rapid growth.
Meanwhile, when taken on a daily basis, the popular DHT-Blocking Hair Growth Vitamins help to improve circulation in your scalp and promote hair regrowth. Delicious, vibrant nutrients within, such as saw palmetto, horsetail extract, and zinc work to inhibit DHT conversion, while the added vitamin B6, biotin, and folic acid all help to provide shine, luster, and targeted hair regeneration.
That being said, the Kiierr DHT-Blocking Hair Growth Vitamins contain soy and shellfish, so they’re not suitable for vegetarians or vegans, or those with a shellfish allergy. In other words, only take them if you’re comfortable eating fish!
Or, if you’re looking for your one-stop shop, you can get everything you need for one fixed price, with the Hair Growth Products & Biotin Bundle, which includes all of the hair growth products for men listed above, PLUS Kiierr’s latest in hair growth technology, their Biotin Gummies.
Formulated with delicious, moisturizing coconut oil and aromatic elderberry, these vitamin gummies enriched with biotin promote strong, healthy hair regrowth and scalp regeneration for fuller, longer, more luscious locks after just 7 months!
So, if you want to exit the year with longer, healthier hair, why not pick up the Kiierr Laser Cap and Hair Growth Vitamin Supplement Bundle today? Your future locks will thank you!
Unlike every other hair regrowth shampoo, conditioner, or hair loss supplement on the market, Hair La Vie contains only natural ingredients, formulated to encourage your hair to regrow naturally.
Although there isn’t a huge amount of information about Hair La Vie that is available online, we do know that there are a variety of formulas available to choose from, including:
- Foundation ollagen Elixir – A daily drink mix for gorgeous hair, radiant skin, and whole-body wellness
- Clinical Formula Hair Vitamins – Vitamins dramatically transform hair strength at the scalp, root, and strand levels, to regrow stronger, healthier hair from top to bottom!
- Revitalizing Blend Hair Vitamins – original strand-enhancer that promotes great hair, naturally
- Renewing Growth Treatment – daily hair loss treatment with plant-based ingredients for instant volume, healthy growth, and protection
- Hair La Vie Shampoo – gently cleanses the hair and scalp while promoting healthy growth
How to Use Hair La Vie Products:
Many of the Hair La Vie products are topical, so men can simply add them to their daily or weekly hair care routine.
The Revitalizing Blend Vitamins come in capsules packed with delicious ingredients, such as:
- Amla – Indian gooseberries full of vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin A, iron, and calcium
- Reishi mushroom – boosts your immune system, which in turn makes it easier for your locks to grow healthy and full
- Flaxseed – one of the natural sources of Vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, and copper, flaxseed helps to nourish your scalp and hair strands, while promoting hair regrowth directly at the root.
For men to get the most out of these vibrant ingredients, we recommend that you drink the elixir and consume one vitamin every day while applying the hair treatment on a daily basis.
On the other hand, when it comes to using the shampoo product, you don’t want to overwash your scalp and leave your strands completely oil-free. Instead, men should shampoo their hair with the Hair La Vie shampoo just once or twice every week. However, another important thing to note is that they need to be shaken up thoroughly before every use, to ensure that the mix doesn’t come out too thick to apply!
All in all, though, the application of all Hair La Vie products is extremely simple. The instructions are listed right there on the packaging, and they couldn’t be easier to follow.
Do-it-yourself hair growth for men: how to make your own hair loss treatments at home
We get it - hair growth products and preventative hair loss treatments can cost a dime and a half, with monthly subscriptions skyrocketing with inflation, and an ever-growing ream of brands to choose from, it can be overwhelming before you even get started.
Thankfully, you don't need to buy expensive store-bought products to revitalize your hairline or give your locks a voluminous boost, because there are plenty of hair growth products sitting there in your kitchen cabinets, waiting to be used.
All you need to know is what to combine and how much to use.
That's where we come in!
4 at-home remedies to combat men's hair loss
We've put together a handy step-by-step guide to creating the best at-home hair re-growth products for men with ingredients you already have at your disposal.
Read on to discover your next DIY hair-loss treatment...
Olive Oil and Egg Yolk
As men, if you suffer from breakages and brittle strands, an egg yolk mask could be your savior.
Eggs contain a combination of lecithin and protein, which work to strengthen, nourish and heal your hair strands. They also contain a high sulfur count, which soothes and combats dandruff.
Simultaneously, the olive oil works to hydrate men’s hair and coat them in a thick, nourishing oil to strengthen your hair follicles and provide long-lasting protection when applied bi-weekly.
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of still water
- Fork or spoon for mixing
- Combine two egg yolks with two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add half a cup of water to dilute the mixture and make it easier to spread evenly.
- Scoop a handful of the mask into the palm of your hand and massage it into your scalp.
- Thoroughly coat your hair from follicle to tip, making sure that every strand is soaked.
- Let the mask sit for 10 – 15 minutes, depending on how long your hair is.
For the best results and to ensure your hair isn’t left over-hydrated, we recommend using this treatment only once or twice every month.
If you suffer from dry, dull, and thinning hair, then bananas are your new best friend.
Bananas famously contain high levels of potassium, a nutrient that softens hair and promotes healthy hair growth, too!
This delicious, scent-packed fruit also contains natural oils which maintain the natural elasticity of your hair and prevent your hair from breaking, a common sign of impending hair loss.
Adding bananas to your diet AND incorporating them into your hair care routine will make a huge difference to the healthiness and sustenance of your hair.
- 1 banana, peeled
- 2 tablespoons of olive or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Fork or spoon for mixing
- Add the banana to your bowl and mash it until it reaches a creamy consistency.
- Add the coconut/olive oil along with the honey and milk, then mix until thoroughly combined.
- Apply evenly from follicle to tip.
- Put a plastic bag or a shower cap over your hair to keep the mask secured.
- Let the mask sit for 30 minutes, then rinse out in the shower.
I know what you’re thinking –
Caffeine?! But that’s just for getting me out of bed in the morning; what’s it going to do to my hair?
Well, I’ll tell you:
Caffeine works wonders to help promote healthy hair growth from the root, during the initial phases of standard hair growth. It does this by targeting ‘DHT‘, a hormone that causes hair loss in men.
DHT prevents proteins, vitamins, and minerals from helping your hair follicles to grow. When caffeine is introduced into your system, it causes the cells to produce more ‘ATP‘, which is a form of energy that encourages hair to grow.
For a more detailed insight into why caffeine is so beneficial for kickstarting luscious hair growth and the many benefits contained within the bountiful bean, check out Caffeine and Hair Growth: Is Caffeine Good For Hair? from Grow Gorgeous.
- 4 ounces of powdered caffeine
- 8 ounces of your regular, everyday shampoo
- Spray bottle
- Spoon for mixing
- Mix the 4 ounces of powdered caffeine with the 8 ounces of your daily shampoo in a bowl.
- Scoop out the mixture onto a comb
- Comb the caffeine mix onto your hair and massage it in, well, from roots to tips.
- Leave on for 30 seconds, then rinse thoroughly until the water runs clear.
If you’re strapped for time, you can also mix the caffeine powder with water in a spray bottle to spritz onto your hair around 15 minutes before you take a shower.
Coconut Oil with Avocado
Coconut oil has long been referred to as the fix-all cure to a wide variety of hair loss and hair growth issues, including male-pattern baldness.
Well, the natural oil has a reputation for revitalizing dull locks, it contains strong medicinal properties, and it works wonders on locking in moisture and retaining tight ringlets in curly hair.
That being said, however, recent studies have shown that the former ‘miracle’ oil can actually be dangerous and damaging, depending on the texture and porosity of your hair.
With that in mind, it’s important to note that coconut oil should only be used sparingly. In other words, rather than applying it as a daily conditioning top-up, we recommend adding it to your weekly deep-conditioning treatment, in order to encourage steady hair growth and promote strand thickening, while avoiding over-conditioning, cooking, or drying the follicles out completely.
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 whole avocado
- Fine-tooth comb
- To give your scalp and follicles the best chance to grow back full of life and luster, begin by warming up 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a bain-marie.
- Scoop the coconut oil into the palms of your hands, then apply the oil to your hair, beginning at the roots and working your way through to the tips. To ensure full coverage, run the oil through the entire length of your hair with a fine-tooth comb. This will also remove any excess that you can then scoop back into the bottle to use next time – waste not, want not!
- Next, cut the avocado into halves lengthways, remove the stone, and scoop out the avocado flesh. Put the flesh into a blender and blend until it resembles a paste.
- Now, coat the entire surface of your tips with the avocado, running it through with a comb to soak every strand.
- Finally, leave the coconut oil and avocado hair regrowth treatment to set for 30 minutes, and until clean from root to tip!